Date: 11/5/17 4:53 pm
From: KC Foggin <KCFoggin...>
Subject: Re: GaryPhillips_Musings
I was just thinking about Gary today. He’s still missed much.

K.C.

Take nothing but pictures,
Leave nothing but footprints
Kill nothing but time

.K.C. Foggin
Socastee,Myrtle Beach SC

www.birdforum.net

www.pbase.com/kcfoggin/nikon_d50_pages&page=20

Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2017 7:48 PM
To: Carolinabirds listserve
Cc: Ann Shahid
Subject: GaryPhillips_Musings

Hi Birders,

Gary Phillips of Conway, SC passed away recently. He had been a frequent contributor to this list serve. I was always amused by his postings and the low-caps in his typing. I just came across this text that I saved from one of his emails. I was interested in his plants that attracted hummingbirds, other birds and butterflies. I hope you enjoy this informative reflection. I saved it on Oct. 4, 2010. You will notice that he "capped" what was most important.

Cherrie

hi y'all,

still a few Ruby-throateds about the confines here, including an adult male who i suspect is my winter friend from the past 3 yrs. in addition to the little man, a juv. male and female are frequenting the flowers, rarley visiting the feeders. have Cuphea, few Salvia sp., Cypress Vine, Scarlet Morning Glory, cpl. varieties of Lantana, Coral Porterweed, Butterfly Bush and Mexican petunia in bloom. Firespike is just starting to bloom, Winter Shrimp Plant hasn't begun yet. hopefully, a female Rufous that wintered for the past 2 yrs will show up soon; she's first been detected in Oct. in previous years.

we find Ruby-throated and Rufous hummers annually in the northern SC coastal plain. numerous folks have Ruby-throateds, often multiple birds, to overwinter here and for the past 3 winters, a male Black-chinned has wintered in the area. i hope to renew our acquaintance this year. the winter oriole population in the area also appears to be increasing, at least in part to the number of folks leaving hummer feeders up in winter (along with more folks offering grape jelly to their avian visitors.)

other southbound visitors to the confines here last week include several Red-eyed and one Blue-headed Vireo, Common Yellowthroat, several Am. Redstart and a Black-throated Blue, all feeding on pokeberries and Am. beautyberries. since the first Am. beautyberry bore fruit here several years ago, we see Black-throated Blues annually during Oct. in the confines.

a few honorary birds last week included Monarch (male,) E. Tiger (male,) and Palamedes swallowtails, Clouded Sulphur, Gulf Fritillary, Red-spotted Purple, Whirlabout, Ocola, Silver-spotted, and Long-tailed skippers.

good birding,

gary phillips

Conway, SC

--