Date: 11/5/17 4:49 pm
Subject: GaryPhillips_Musings
Hi Birders,

Gary Phillips of Conway, SC passed away recently. He had been a frequent
contributor to this list serve. I was always amused by his postings and
the low-caps in his typing. I just came across this text that I saved from
one of his emails. I was interested in his plants that attracted
hummingbirds, other birds and butterflies. I hope you enjoy this
informative reflection. I saved it on Oct. 4, 2010. You will notice that he
"capped" what was most important.

Cherrie

*hi y'all,*

*still a few Ruby-throateds about the confines here, including an adult
male who i suspect is my winter friend from the past 3 yrs. in addition to
the little man, a juv. male and female are frequenting the flowers, rarley
visiting the feeders. have Cuphea, few Salvia sp., Cypress Vine, Scarlet
Morning Glory, cpl. varieties of Lantana, Coral Porterweed, Butterfly Bush
and Mexican petunia in bloom. Firespike is just starting to bloom, Winter
Shrimp Plant hasn't begun yet. hopefully, a female Rufous that wintered for
the past 2 yrs will show up soon; she's first been detected in Oct. in
previous years. *

*we find Ruby-throated and Rufous hummers annually in the northern SC
coastal plain. numerous folks have Ruby-throateds, often multiple birds, to
overwinter here and for the past 3 winters, a male Black-chinned has
wintered in the area. i hope to renew our acquaintance this year. the
winter oriole population in the area also appears to be increasing, at
least in part to the number of folks leaving hummer feeders up in winter
(along with more folks offering grape jelly to their avian visitors.)*

*other southbound visitors to the confines here last week include several
Red-eyed and one Blue-headed Vireo, Common Yellowthroat, several Am.
Redstart and a Black-throated Blue, all feeding on pokeberries and Am.
beautyberries. since the first Am. beautyberry bore fruit here several
years ago, we see Black-throated Blues annually during Oct. in the
confines.*

*a few honorary birds last week included Monarch (male,) E. Tiger (male,)
and Palamedes swallowtails, Clouded Sulphur, Gulf Fritillary, Red-spotted
Purple, Whirlabout, Ocola, Silver-spotted, and Long-tailed skippers.*

*good birding,*

*gary phillips*

Conway, SC

--