Date: 11/5/17 3:56 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast (Huge migration, White-eyed Vireo Glaucous and Iceland Gulls)
NH coast, Rockingham, New Hampshire, US
Nov 5, 2017
Comments:     Off and on sea watch.  Non-stop watch from about 8:00
until 10:00 AM at Great Boar's Head.  Then, while leading a Brookline
Bird Club trip, we spent intermittent time looking offshore from various
spots along the shoreline.  Moderate SE winds and mostly overcast skies.

The following were counted MIGRATING SOUTH
Brant  6
Canada Goose  50
Mallard  3
American Black Duck  101
Northern Pintail  7
Green-winged Teal  30
Ring-necked Duck  1
Greater Scaup  22
Common Eider  30
Surf Scoter  102
White-winged Scoter  154
Black Scoter  237
scoter sp.  129
Long-tailed Duck  134
Common Goldeneye  7   First of fall.
Red-breasted Merganser  286
RED-THROATED LOON  834     Huge flight of Red-throated Loons.  My second
highest total for NH. Largest flocks of about 30 to 40 birds.
Common Loon  100
Northern Gannet  15   Remarkably low number.
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT  2,562     Huge flight for November.
Greater Yellowlegs  7
Bonaparte's Gull  9
Laughing Gull  1     Adult.  Flying south relatively close at north end
of Great Boar's Head.
Ring-billed Gull  600     Huge southbound flight of Ring-bills.  Not a
terribly careful count, but likely an underestimate.  Constant flow with
pulses right through the afternoon.  Certainly some Herring and Great
Black-backed Gulls, but the vast majority were Ring-bills.
ICELAND GULL  1     Adult flying south with flock of Ring-billed Gulls.
GLAUCOUS GULL  1     Juvenile/first winter.  Obvious white-winged gull
flying south along Hampton Beach.  I initially called out Iceland Gull,
but when I got it in the scope, the bird appeared bulky and the bill was
obviously long and bi-colored.
Peregrine Falcon  3     Two clearly coming south offshore.  One obvious
juvenile tundrius.
Snow Bunting  2

Later, while exploring the north end of Odiorne (the south end was DEAD
with the SE winds)
WHITE-EYED VIREO - 1.  I got the briefest of glimpses of this bird
yesterday and didn't want to "call it" so I was ecstatic to relocate it
today for the group.  Len and Jim Sparrell got nice photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lmedlock/38198167691/in/photostream/lightbox/

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA