Date: 11/5/17 3:47 pm
From: David Kollen <davekollen...>
Subject: [obol] RE Mystery dead seabird id - Nehalem Bay State Park
Hi All,
I get OBOL in digest form so apologies if I am repeating anything from
others.

I've been performing beached [dead] bird surveys for COASST for three years
and I am not sure what this is. I saw a suggestion of Cassin's auklet in a
subsequent email to the original post. I've dealt with quite a few of those
and was always amazed at how small and delicate they seemed. From the photo
showing the 4.5 inch foot width I believe the carcass is too large for
Cassin's.

Our protocol follows either foot or wing keys to get to an ID. I couldn't
tell if the feet on this bird were gone or just not visible in the photos.
What looks like potentially a white patch made me think Pigeon Guillemot,
but there are others to sort through and that is hard to do without a bird
in hand, especially wing chord measurements. Also with a bird this beat up
I would like to see feet in order to narrow things down.

The good folks at COASST might have an idea if you wanted to question them (
<coasst...>). Good luck.

Dave Kollen

Msg: #24 in digest
From: Beverly Hallberg <mapsout...>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2017 21:30:01 -0700
Subject: [obol] Mystery dead seabird id - Nehalem Bay State Park

Hi all,
I found this dead seabird last week on the beach at Nehalem Bay State
Park. There is virtually no neck - it's sort of football-shaped. It's
seems rather large - one of the pictures has my shoe in it which is 4-1/2"
width. There are some plumage clues in the wings and feathers. Any ideas?

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmawCHTG

By the way, like Russ, I also found a dead Barred Owl on the beach a couple
weeks ago on the Manzanita Beach.

Thanks, Beverly

Join us on Facebook!