Date: 11/5/17 3:24 pm
From: Paul Smith via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] CT Birds ID Help
Have you considered a young Brant or Brant hybrid?  Juveniles lack the white necklace
Paul SmithNew Haven, CT

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 16:28:04 +0000
From: Alex Delehanty <alexdelehanty...>
To: CT Birds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] ID help

Normally I wouldn?t do this but ...
Today in Hartford at Riverside Park, in the ponds on the access road I
observed a bird that I cannot identify.
It was in the pond with Canada Geese. It was a third of the size of a
Canada Goose. This birds? shape, I know this sounds ridiculous, looked like
a pigeon with a long neck. The head neck and breast were uniformly brownish
gray.  It had black eyes, no eye ring, the beak was black & not long or
curved. It was barred on the back, brown, white, & buff. it had a white
butt. This bird took off with the geese and headed down to the Connecticut
River.
It did not have a grebe or duck head, but whatever it was I haven?t a
clue. Any ideas what it might be would be gratefully appreciated because
it?s driving me crazy.
Alex Delehanty
Storrs