Date: 11/5/17 3:21 pm
From: Jeff Bray <jbray4913...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Ferruginous Hawk - Holy Sepulcher Cemetery / Villa Park Flood Basin - 5 NOV
I stopped by Holy Sepulcher Cemetery in Orange this afternoon to survey
more of the fire damage from the Canyon Fire 2. The cemetery escaped a lot
of damage, but did lose a fair amount of trees along the fence line that
separates it from the Villa Park Flood Basin. Scanning from the fence down
into the basin, I first spotted this bird perched in a dead tree around
GPS: 33.814956, -117.763572. It was really far away, but I could tell it
wasn't just a Red-tailed Hawk, so I went to get my scope to have a better
look and the bird had left that spot by the time I returned. I later
relocated it on the ground pretty far south of where it was and it was now
just to the west of the outdoor nature center at IRP, near GPS: 33.804687,
-117.757716. Never was able to get a good look at the bird in flight. I
watched it sit on the ground for 75 minutes until an adult RTHA came in and
forced it to take flight. When it lifted off, I noted that it looked
entirely white underwing. It stayed low and I never saw it land in view
anywhere near by.

All of the wilderness areas of Irvine Regional Park and Villa Park Basin
are still off limits due to the fire, so if you're thinking of looking for
the bird, I'd suggest scanning from the cemetery.

My eBird list below has a few terrible photos of the bird, as it was easily
half a mile away if not more at all times I had it in view.

Jeff Bray
Irvine, CA

Join us on Facebook!