Date: 11/5/17 1:42 pm
From: Scott Olmstead <sparverius81...>
Subject: RE: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tucson Red Crossbills
To follow up on Molly Pollock's report of Red Crossbills at Hardesty from yesterday, I had a flock of 10 crossbills fly over the big basin at KERP in southern Tucson this morning. It was an unexpected bird and I was not prepared to make a recording, but the "kip-kip" calls certainly reminded me of Type 2s (Ponderosa Pine) of which I heard many a couple weeks ago around Grand Canyon.

The birds were heading north and though I did not see them land, the pine trees at James Thomas Park just north of KERP might look appealing to a flock of crossbills.

Good birding,

Scott