Date: 11/5/17 12:05 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach & Dunes, Hedge Area & Harbor Sunday 11-5-17
Hello Bird People,

Montrose (7:15-10:45 a.m.)

Spent the 1st 2 hours doing the beach & dunes, 45 min at the hedge
area & 30 min at the harbor.
Probably due to the east winds of late land birds were not common. The
entire length of the public & protected beaches are loaded with as
much "seaweed green glop" as I've seen anywhere but as it is November
not many shorebirds were there to take advantage of it although a few
did. By 10:30 a.m. the rain began & so I gave up by 10:45. If you
don't care to check my entire list I'll mention that the highlights
included Black Scoter (seen by others), Short Eared Owl, 15-20 Dunlin
& Snow Buntings. And I should mention that I did not see 1 single dog
on the public beach.

Montrose Beach & Dunes

D.C. Cormorant (2 in the lake)
Canada Goose (47 in the lake & on the flooded beach)
Mallard (72 swimming & on the beach)
Ring Necked Duck (1-F)
(The large white domestic duck was with the Mallards & Coots)
Coots (89-90 swimming & digging in the "green glop")
Ring Billed (25) & Herring (6) Gulls (on the beach)
Sanderling (1 hanging with the Dunlin most of the time)
Dunlin (16-20)
SHORT EARED OWL (1 flying over the dunes, beach & lake)
SNOW BUNTING (8-10, by the start of the fishing pier)

Andrew A saw 1 BLACK SCOTER fly by & another birder had a photo of 2
or 3 also flying by.
I missed them all.

Not much to talk about in the hedge area but a flock of about 20
Goldfinch was eating seeds near the "water feature" & I checked them
carefully but found no Siskins or Redpolls. Later Fran M was going to
check again as he thought he may have heard a Redpoll but was not
sure.

Only the usual stuff in the harbor including 4 Cormorants, Canada
Geese, Mallards & Gulls.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the graceful flying Short Eared Owl & Runner-Up to
the Snow Buntings which was 1 of my 2 targets for today. The 2nd
target species was Franklin's Gull which unsurprisingly I did not see.

Al Stokie
Along the Chicago lakefront in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: