Date: 11/5/17 11:38 am
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] WMB: PF Goose today, goldeneye arrival yesterday, Dunlin the day before...
Hi MassBirders,

A Pink-footed Goose was in Turners Falls this morning at the Rod & Gun Club, posted to Western Mass Birders (FaceBook) by Josh Layfield (who saw it around 9 AM) and Joe Olivero (about an hour later). No idea whether it is still there or not. Or whether this is the same bird that James Smith spotted at Barton Cove recently, back after an inexplicable absence, or if James’ bird went down to Westfield (as some have speculated) and this is a new one.

On the other hand, Dorrie Holmes reported very few geese in Westfield yesterday from the location where the Barnacle, Pink-footed, Cackling and others had been seen earlier, and eBird shows no reports for those birds today either, so that spectacular flock may have moved on.

Interesting phenomenon Friday, a little wave of Dunlin reports across the western part of the state. Michele Moore had one in Longmeadow, Jonathan Pierce another at the Pittsfield Airport, Gael Hurley yet another at Silver Lake in Pittsfield, and Bill Lafley had two near Quabbin Gate 35(previously posted here). Then yesterday Jonathan found another one in Sheffield. After hearing about this flurry of activity, I went and listened to Dunlin call recordings, and suspect that the sandpiper which I heard and saw (in flight, briefly, at a distance) at Barton Cove on Thursday was probably a Dunlin as well. Seven birds scattered across all 4 western MA counties. Not quite as impressive as the Brant fallout earlier in the week, but still…

Yesterday, the main news seemed to be the arrival of Common Goldeneye. I hadn’t heard of any so far this fall, but Saturday there were multiple birds reported from the Turners Falls Power Canal and at least two different sites in the Berkshires.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA