Date: 11/5/17 11:34 am
From: Lloyd Davies <ldavies...>
Subject: Whoopers and Juncos
Drove to Cheyenne Bottoms yesterday and saw (and heard - I love the sound)
the big flock of sandhill cranes with upwards of 14 whooping cranes mixed in
near NE40th and to the south of K4 highway. Probably 1000 sandhills but the
whoopers stood out like a sore thumb among them feeding, prancing and
walking. I saw about five. An older gentleman drove up to us as we were
leaving and said he'd lived there his whole life and this was the first time
he'd seen a whooping crane. He counted seven. Kept saying "beautiful."
Biggest smile on his face and just like a little kid.

Had my first two juncos at the feeders this morning and what are probably
the first of my winter goldfinches.

Lloyd Davies

Marion, Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html