Date: 11/5/17 8:53 am
From: James Holmes <jfholmes...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Plegadis ibis in Limestone
I just looked at the photos in eBird for the Plegadis Ibis at Limestone. Unfortunately the photos are distant and the only thing that can be determined from most is that it is a Plegadis ibis. It is hard to tell if there is any streaking on the head but it appears that the wing coverts are glossy in a couple images so I think (at least one of the birds) is a non-breeding plumaged adult.

Saying all that, ID should be based on eye color in non-breeding adults. Comments in eBird suggest the eye is dark, but the one image where I think the eye color is discernible is from this checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39939732 When I blow up the photo from this checklist, it looks like the eye is maroon. The facial skin even looks maroon.

I could easily be wrong but from that photo, I am suspicious it is White-faced Ibis (and not Glossy).

Any better photos out there (that definitely show eye color)?

Thanks,

Jim Holmes
Sacramento, CA

Join us on Facebook!