Date: 11/5/17 3:33 am
From: Mindy Waldron <awaldron...>
Subject: Raleigh/Summers birds for the BNC and BCBC
Eleven birders from the Buchanan County Bird Club and the Bibbee Nature Club joined birding skills today to find birds in the Hinton WV area and along the New River to Sandstone Falls. In spite of some spotty rain and cloudy skies we logged 43 different species.
There was a lot of kidding and joking around among the group which added to the fun of finding the birds. After finding Common Loons, American Coots and Pied-billed Grebes at Bluestone Lake we then drove to Mountain Valley Lake where we added several duck species, a large flock of Canada Geese and more grebes.
Next we drove back to Hinton to Belle Point Park just below the Bluestone Dam. There we found a Brown Creeper, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Great Blue Herons, Common Mergansers and a late migrating Osprey. The Dairy Queen in Hinton was the next stop for an enjoyable lunch while watching several deer, more ducks and Great Blue Herons along the shores of New River. Just as we stepped outside of the DQ a Bald Eagle went sailing by overhead.
We then started the 8 mile drive downriver toward Sandstone Falls. We added Hooded Mergansers, Black Ducks and Yellow-rumped Warblers to the list and another beautiful, adult Bald Eagle.
Below is the day’s complete list. Thanks to Mindy Waldron, Alma Lowery and Anne Mcrae of the Bibbee Nature Club for joining us for the day’s event.

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mountain, VA

Canada Goose  179
Mallard 13