Date: 11/5/17 2:55 am
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] request for Red Crossbill recordings
Hi birders,

Red Crossbills are currently showing up all over the country in odd
locations. Along with a massive movement of birds into the plains states,
there are also a fair few showing up in odd locations in southern Arizona
and southern New Mexico. It would be great if birders could record the
flight calls of these birds so they could be determined to 'flight call
type'. There's an eBird article on the various flight call types here:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/crossbills-of-
north-america-species-and-red-crossbill-call-types/

Don't fret if you don't have fancy recording gear--smart phones will do
just fine. Any birders that use eBird can just drop the audio file in
their checklist and/or send to either Matt Young at Cornell or me. Our
contact information is in the article linked above.

I have to admit I'm really interested in the fairly rare 'Type 6' Red
Crossbills that show up in the area. Will they venture to the lowlands or
head south to look for a good cone crop?

good birding!

Tim Spahr