Date: 11/4/17 11:29 pm
From: Craig Tumer <craig...>
Subject: [obol] Ona Beach Sapsucker
While in Lincoln County today, I went to Ona Beach to look for the
Red-naped Sapsucker reported earlier in the week. I found the bird
easily and got some mediocre photos. Based on my observation of the
bird, review of my photos, and comments I got from others, I believe
that this bird is not a pure Red-naped Sapsucker. My photos are in my
eBird report here:http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40301165
As my photos show, the red of the fore crown of this bird is
contiguous with the red of the nape, and there's only a very small
patch of black between the crown and nape. At least one of my pho tos
seems to show a few red feathers on the side of the face. I don't have
a ton of experience with RNSA, but I've never seen an illustration of
one with this much red on the head. The red of the crown is supposed
to be completely separated from the red nape by black according to all
of the field guides I've seen, and Shunk's ABA article on hybrid
sapsuckers doesn't have any photos that match this bird. I don't have
any good photos of the breast band, but in looking through eBird this
evening, I found that Isaac Denzer got photos much better than mine
today, and several of his photos seem to show some red in the breast
band. While this bird has much less red than any of the previous
Red-breasted Sapsuckers I've encountered, I believe, based on the
information I have available, that the red on this bird is rather
extreme for a pure Red-naped Sapsucker. I'm happy to be proven wrong,
but I believe this sapsucker is some sort of hybrid backcross, and not
a pure Red-naped Sapsucker.
Craig TumerPortland
POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN OR QUIT:
http://www.freelists.org/list/obol OBOL archives:
www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!