Date: 11/4/17 9:15 pm
From: <scottvarney1968...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] Yellow-billed Cuckoo at Betar Byway in South Glen's Falls and 3 Golden Eagles in Salem, NY
While travelling from my house in Salem today, I pulled over on Route 29 in Salem near the grassy fields at The Greenery today at 12:30 pm to view 3 Golden Eagles flying Southwest toward Battenville. 2 were adults with dark brown bodies with visible golden napes and smaller heads (compared to Bald Eagles). The third was a juvenile bird with a distinctively wide, white tail band.

Upon entering my birding destination at Betar Byway in South Glen's Falls (parked behind Sorrentinos Deli on 1st Street), I came upon great views of multiple Carolina Wrens. About 1/4 mile in on the river side of the trail, I found a single Yellow-billed Cuckoo. It was hanging out in perfect sun, poised for photos...so I snapped over 2 dozen photos. This was a Lifer for me...Yahoo! Other birds included Canada Geese, House Sparrows, Blue Jays, Eastern Bluebirds, and Cardinals. Great day of birding! Thanks to my sister Heidi for pointing out the "interesting" Cuckoo!

Happy Birding,

Scott Varney
Salem, NY.

Posted by: <scottvarney1968...>