Date: 11/4/17 6:52 pm
From: Chuck & Jaye Otte <otte2...>
Subject: Franklin's Gull Survey Summary
Several people have asked about the Franklin's Gull Surveys that were
conducted in October. The data can be viewed at:

http://ksbirds.org/kos/Franklin's_Gull_Survey.htm

Because of the mobile nature of birds it can be somewhat hard to compare
one day to another, but the highest count for any one morning was 1,382,811
the morning of October 22. Thank you to everyone who participated and I
hope we can get more participants next year. As you can see, some of the
lakes received no coverage for any of the weekends we were counting. I'm
sure some of those held some significant numbers of birds.

I knew that this year would be a "trial run" not only for me but for those who
tried to count the gulls. I look forward to doing this again in October 2018 and
hope we can get more of the reservoirs covered. As I expected, we have a
lot of Franklin's Gulls in Kansas in October! If you have any questions, drop
me a note!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>