Date: 11/4/17 4:31 pm
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Concord November Challenge - Day 1

Greetings all,

19 birders fanned out across Concord today in search of as many species as possible in the 10th annual Concord November Challenge. Preliminary results as of 7 p.m. indicate that we collectively found 78 species today, a little below our expected weekend total of something in the low 80s. Some of us will be out again tomorrow to hopefully find a few more goodies, so for anyone birding in Concord tomorrow, here's a list of our highlights and most glaring misses (although some of the latter may still have been found today).

Waterfowl were a little sparse, but one highlight was the first Green-winged Teal since 2013.
We still need Ring-necked Duck though.

Other waterbirds put in a good showing, with four Pied-billed Grebes, and American Coot (Morrill's Farm), Pectoral Sandpiper (Turkey Pond), and four Greater Yellowlegs and three Wilson's Snipe (also at Morrill's). With all those "bonus" shorebirds around, there really should be a Killdeer somewhere, so keep your eyes open!

The Carter Hill Hawkwatch pulled through with most of the expected raptors - plus an early morning woodcock. We're still missing Peregrine Falcon though, so anyone downtown on Sunday keep your eyes out!

In the passerine department, there were a handful of "field birds" (Horned Lark, American Pipit, Snow Bunting), while sparrows were well-represented but noticeably less numerous than in recent days. Field sparrow is hit-or-miss in early November, and right now it's still a miss. There are good numbers of sparrows at the Birch Street gardens and White Farm. Among the sparrows at the gardens were two Palm Warblers.

Other landbird highlights were Pine Siskin, Winter Wren, and a good showing of Ruby-crowned Kinglets, but a big miss so far is Hermit Thrush (we're only missed it once before, and there are certainly a few still around).

The biggest miss (unless someone saw one and has yet to report in!) is Wild Turkey. Ruffed Grouse and Barred Owl are certainly out there, but not always easy to find during this event.

To close, we found two species for the CNC: a marsh wren at Turtle Pond and Nashville Warbler in a powerline cut in the heights. Misses in the less likely category, but certainly possible considering the warm fall, include Eastern Phoebe, Gray Catbird, and White-crowned Sparrow.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out, and good luck to anyone heading into the field tomorrow!
Pam