Date: 11/4/17 2:05 pm
From: David Govatski <david.govatski...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pondicherry Bufflehead, Scoters, Otter and Trails
On Saturday 4 November 2017 there a variety of waterfowl on Cherry Pond at the Pondicherry NWR in Jefferson.
3 pair of Bufflehead
7 Pied-billed Grebes
11 White-winged Scoters
7 Ring necked Ducks
5 Hooded Mergansers
6 Common Mergansers
Plus one otter.
There probably were more before they heard my chainsaw but these stuck around. The bufflehead and common mergansers typically are the last of the waterfowl moving south.

We continue to work on reopening the trails damaged by the Halloween Storm. We now have a four person Americorps crew from Massachusetts to help remove the blowdowns. We saw about thirty people on the rail trail including several bicyclists. On Monday and Tuesday we will be working to reopen the Little Cherry Pond Trail. Monday will bring rain and slow progress but Tuesday is looking nice.

The storm was an unusual meteorological event called bombogenesis. That was a new word for me.
http://mainepublic.org/post/unusual-bomb-cyclone-blamed-widespread-power-outages#stream/0
A meteorologist by the name of Bob Henson accurately forecast the event and why it developed. https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/new-york-new-england-raked-weird-autumn-storm

David Govatski
Jefferson, NH