Date: 11/4/17 1:04 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: First Bald Eagle eBird record at Cranesville Swamp, third Surf Scoter record at Alpine Lake
After visiting Alpine Lake this morning, my wife Nancy and I went to
Cranesville Swamp, where in early afternoon, only 9 species could be found.
Among them, however, was the first-ever eBird record of BALD EAGLE for that
location. It was a handsome adult soaring overhead a couple of times. Since
there really isn't any open water at the swamp other than a couple of very
small ponds, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there were no previous
records. This bird possibly could be the one seen occasionally at nearby
Alpine Lake; maybe it came over from Deep Creek in Maryland. Might even
have been migrating.

At Alpine Lake, a female SURF SCOTER was hanging out with some Buffleheads
and Ruddy Ducks. The only previous 2 eBird records were on Oct. 28 and 29,
so the timing is right for this species to be migrating through.

Other water birds at Alpine Lake:

Canada Goose--139 on the golf course at the edge of the lake
Mallard--2
Ring-necked Duck--32
Bufflehead--28
Hooded Merganser--5