Date: 11/4/17 5:35 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (03 Nov 2017) 35 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Tom Zunino

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Kathleen Pileggi, Tom Zunino.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Sunny (75% cloud cover), Ceiling - 10,200-17,400 ft., Visibility -
5-10 miles, Temps 60 - 74F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (50) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Straight Up. You Feel Me, Tom?”---

A Ruby-crowned Kinglet threatening to take a bath in Bucktoe Basin diverted
my attention. Ever seen that? A Kinglet taking a bath? Exceptionally
cute. Today, the Kinglet just couldn’t get a turn. But that means I still
have a filthy Kinglet around here in need of a bath. I will keep a sharp
lookout for that dirty little bird.

Our friend, Tom Zunino was out for a long time today. He just completed
his parking lot project for TLC and was justifiably proud of the outcome.
Kathleen & I plan to go down soon for a tour with you, Tom. Tom was also
getting ready to bottle his new wine –a zinfandel made from grapes from the
Sacramento valley. “Life is good!,” says Tom. And why not? The project
was done, zinfandel ready, and Tom very recently added a grandson to the
fold – he thinks his name is Chad – Tom, 65 just a few days ago, wasn’t
quite sure in his recent “senior moment!” Tom, they’re getting a room
ready for you “at the home,” Buddy! He now has 6 grandchildren. Between
good stories and good-natured harassing, Tom told us of a trip to
Monticello and the wine country there, including a Trump wine. You heard
correctly…they’re in the grapes! A Cooper’s Hawk flew by, with Tom seeing
it first, receiving the associated full-partial credit. Tom promised to
bring up some of his soon to be bottled wine - a “Zunino Zinfandel” - to
our next wine & cheese event. His wine, like the last one, should taste
great and Zinfandels don’t need to age. They are better when young, right
Tom? As I mentioned, Tom just had his 65th birthday, and in Tom’s words
started falling apart the next day - needing to wear glasses. Tom, my
friend, you look fantastic! Don’t sweat the glasses! Nearly everybody
who’s “over the hill” wears them… (lol- sorry Buddy, but I had to!) Have a
glass of wine and relax…old man..

A Purple Finch, a calling flyover, was our 132nd species seen at The Watch
this season.

We saw no eagle in the skies over our site today, but then at home there
was an “eagle,”(Philadelphia) Interviewed on TV. I caught only this, “I
was an angry bird. You feel me? Straight up!”
Do they have Eagles on Mars? That’s no language spoken on earth, right?
Am I that much behind things with my injury? Can I get a translation?
Eagles are known for their appearance, certainly not their voice…and
apparently, their content…
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Eastern Phoebe, 1-Horned Lark, 1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 5-Palm Warbler,
2-Savannah Sparrow, 12-White-crowned Sparrow, 1-Rusty Blackbird, 1-Purple
Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Monarch - 10, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.23; Steps: 7,583; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 132
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Purple
Finch.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks changeable with skies getting cloudier and light
winds.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: