Date: 11/3/17 1:29 pm
From: Beau Schaefer <beauschaefer...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake County Owling and Other Stuff
This morning Andy Stewart and I headed out at 4am to see if we could track down a saw-whet owl which was a notoriously difficult bird to find last winter in Lake County. This would be Andy’s year bird #275 to further extend his sole domination of the Lake County Big Year record which he set last year at 269.
We started at McDonald Woods in Lindenhurst and had a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL whining loudly and repeatedly almost immediately in response to the whine from my iPhone. It was close, too…and got closer. The bird called a total of 4 times and we thought it might fly over to us but we vacated the area quickly to let it get back to roosting. With #275 in the bag, we headed out to see what else we could find. Our owl totals for the 5 stops we made were 3 GREAT HORNED OWLS (IBSP), 1 EASTERN SCREECH OWL (Lyons Woods), and 2 N. SAW-WHET OWLS (McD Woods, Bowen Park). The Bowen Park saw-whet gave a couple of high-pitched barks directly across from our vantage point.

Other Highlights of the morning:

3 shorebird sp. (DUNLIN@Waukegan, 2 GREATER YELLOWLEGS@NPM, Van Patten Woods- Des Plaines River, AMERICAN WOODCOCK with its rapid fluttery wingbeats flying in off the lake at Waukegan)
EARED GREBE continuing in the channel near the pines picnic area@Waukegan. Be patient, though. That bird disappears for extended periods of time.
NORTHERN SHRIKE on the south side of the entrance rd. at NPM.

Alas, I’m 0-5 on Red Crossbill searches, though. Got to Van Patten pretty late, which didn’t help, but the quest for that bird continues…..

Bird On!
Beau Schaefer
Round Lake Beach, IL
Lake County