Date: 11/3/17 12:58 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Lake Watch #10, Techny North & 3 Small Inland Lakes Friday 11-3-17
Hello Bird People,

Old Business

1. The mystery hawk at the Botanic Garden yesterday seems to have been
a young Red Shouldered Hawk & the young of that species are not easily
I.D.ed at least by me.

2. The 1958 Rockabilly song was Oh Susie Darlin' & the singer was
Robin Luke. This was his one & only big hit (#5 on the Billboard
Chart) & later he went on to gain a PhD in business/marketing & become
the head of the marketing dept at a university in Missouri, not what
you'd expect from a 1950's early rock & roller.

New Business

Wind direction predictions change often & so the prediction that
today's winds would be N.E. became north winds until noon or so when
they were again expected to go to the N.E. after all. Tomorrow's winds
were supposed to be from the east but now are supposed to be from the
S.E. You never know what they will end up being until you get there. I
thought the north winds would still send waterfowl south but not be
pushed in toward shore & for most of the time that was the case
although there were fewer migrants than I expected.

Gillson Park Lake Watch #10 (8-10 a.m.)

Arrived at 8 a.m. to find Eric Walters already on duty. Eric has
already reported what birds went by although I did not see all that he
saw. As he mentioned Jeff Sanders & I stayed until 10 a.m. after Eric
left at 9 a.m. We added nothing new but only saw more of what had been
seen before. The most numerous migrant ducks were Redhead followed by
Scaup & Red Breasted Mergansers.
The only highlights were a few Common Loons & the female BLACK SCOTER
flying north with a female Bufflehead. Good job by Eric to pick that
bird out!

Techny Basin North (10:30-11:15 a.m.)

Hadn't been here in a while but Jeff said ducks were arriving so I
gave it a try joined later by Jeff.
Here we saw the following in our 45 min visit:

P.B. Grebe (3)
Great Blue Heron (2)
Great Egret (also 2)
Canada Goose (4)
Wood Duck (4-M & 1-F)
Mallard (95-100)
American Wigeon (1-F)
Gadwall (15-18)
Shoveler (2-M & 1-F)
Green Winged Teal (14)
Hooded Merganser (1-PR)
Coots (2)
Killdeer (8-9)
Wilson's Snipe (4-5)
Ring Billed Gull (3 flying around)
Our only land birds were American Tree Sparrow (3) & Song Sparrow (1)

After lunch at the Rosemont Culver's I checked Lake Opeka, Axehead
Lake & Belleau Lake.
Birds of interest at Opeka were P.B. Grebe (5) & Hooded Merganser (4).
No interesting birds at Axehead & at Belleau only 1 Y.R. Myrtle Warbler.

Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the close in fly-by female Black Scoter at Gillson.
Runner-Up to the nice looking Gadwall & the female Wigeon both of
which have interesting
feather patterns if you take the time to look closely.

License Plate Of The Day to one from New Hampshire seen in downtown Wilmette.

Al Stokie
Braving the wind in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: