Date: 11/3/17 9:05 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Swan Creek 11/2/2017
I conducted a full census at Swan Creek yesterday. It was a beautiful day with lots of birds. My top three finds:

1. GREAT CORMORANT: Observed on the pilings along one of the spillway outflow pipes. This was my first in the county, and is the first record of this species on eBird at this location. Unfortunately this location is not visible from any of the public areas.

2. CLAY-COLORED SPARROW: Also in one of the restricted areas, but much closer to the public area than where I last saw it. Hopefully it finds its way to the grasses along the road to the wetland.

3. ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER: One in a restricted area, and one just past the riffle in the wetland. Neither bird cooperated for photos.

I also had high counts of Northern Shoveler (715) and Ruddy Duck (2146), and surprisingly low counts of Mallard (7) and Northern Pintail (0, many here during my last census).

Shorebirds included 13 Black-bellied Plovers, 175 Dunlin, and 1 Sanderling. The shorebirds were very active and moved around a lot. By the time I checked the other side of the DMCF, I did not find any shorebirds at all. Other birders reported Lesser Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpiper. I have no doubt those birds were also there, but probably moved on halfway through the day.

Other interesting birds: Greater Scaup, Bufflehead, Virginia Rail, Sora, Common Raven, American Pipit, Common Yellowthroat (late), Rusty Blackbird.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40273091

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD

*** NOTE: Swan Creek/Cox Creek is an active industrial site and mitigation project in northern Anne Arundel Co. Access is at the end of Kembo Road off Fort Smallwood Road near 695. The site is open ONLY Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please be in your car and leaving at 3:30 p.m.. Remember to always sign in at the office, to be on your best behavior (people have worked hard to coordinate this access), and to stick to permitted areas. This Swan Creek map linked here details where you are and aren't allowed to walk. http://www.billhubick.com/docs/swan_creek_map.jpg. ***