Date: 11/2/17 10:44 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: Unusual Red Crossbill Year in the Making
I just looked at Jeff Hansen's crossbill video and this invasion is getting a little more exciting all the time. All three of the male colors he had are unusual compared to the brick reds, as described by some, we get most years. The entire bill on the second bird which was a light pink bird, appeared to be long and have a short height. If the green and gray bird was a female, she had an unusual plumage.

I'm going to look at the video a couple more times. Maybe others could give some input on Jeff's video on their interpretations.

Sara had four RECRs go over our yard again this afternoon. We can't get them to come down to the feeders. We have had a big female juvenile Cooper's Hawk working our yard for at least three weeks now. She has taken a lot of White-winged Doves already. Add to that a new Sharp-shinned Hawk arrived today.

Thanks Jeff ! Get some more RECR video !

Tom Shane
Garden City

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to