Date: 11/2/17 10:36 pm
From: Paul Griffin <pgriffin1...>
Subject: Whoopers at Quivira
Hi Folks,

I got to Quiver’s Big Salt Marsh at 8:30 Thursday morning hoping to see Joseph Miller’s reported 36 Whoopers. Others were there before me, looking for the same thing. At the beginning I was able to see only 35, but before the day was finished (with all of the lousy weather, fog with only a few hundred yards visibility, high winds from the North and drizzle) and all of the Whoopers flew South by mid afternoon, after the visibility improved and they could see where they were going. In the end, I found 42 at the Big Salt Marsh among them were 6 juveniles, all on the flats North of 170th street. At the very last, after all the 42 flew South, about 2:30, I drove by the Little Salt Marsh and there were 2 adults, for a total of 44. That is by far the most I have seen in one day. I doubt the migration is over with, it is early, so stay toned. Last year there were around 30 on Nov 22 at the Big Salt Marsh.

Happy birding,

Paul Griffin, Wichita
https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to