Date: 11/2/17 4:57 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Nov 2017) 50 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 50 97 12897

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Kathleen Pileggi, Carol Spease, Sue McLaughlin.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy to Partly Cloudy (90-25% cloud cover), Ceiling -
14,100-25,400 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 57 - 73F, Winds NNW-SSW @ 5
- 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-9
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“I Broke My Hair, Better to be Bald”---

My hair must have broken sometime last night; before arriving at “The
Watch,” at least. Sure, it had been a rough night, but nothing could
explain what I was confronted with at first glance in the mirror. It was
not split ends, nor was it torn hair, but the “style” itself that was
“broken” – and the whole head. Perhaps, I should say styles. I was
working the “Gumby” angled and lifted sharp-edged look on the left side,
while I was sporting the caught in a hurricane, insatiably teased, “not so”
Young Frankenstein look, on the right. Hell, I didn’t even match!!
Unfortunately, it was the car mirror where I was first confronted by this
mess, and I was already committed and “beyond all help or recourse.” To
those at Landhope Farms who I offended…sorry for the scare, it was broken
hair (layman poet, can’t help myself). To all others I visually offended –
on behalf of my hair, I am truly sorry. I meant nothing by it. That
wake-up call you got seeing me though, saved you the coffee, at least.

Thanks Kathleen for the cookies, they unfortunately were too delicious,
just as you claimed. As they were gluten free, they didn’t look good, but
they ate… oh, so well!

Hard to believe, but my season’s first Ring-billed Gull flew by the Watch
this afternoon (species #131). It was a great sky, mostly “wasted” by not
seeing many raptors. I hate when that happens. We need THAT sky when we
are getting serious raptor movement. At least Bald Eagles were obvious
today, including 5 adults at once. Their “hair” all in place – not the
first time I’ve been envious of Eagles.…

A Pied-billed Grebe was at Chambers Lake (MQ) and we saw a Coot at Longwood
Gardens.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Ring-billed Gull, 4-Palm Warbler, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Monarch - 2, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper, Buckeye. Dragonflies (1): Green
Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.53; Steps: 10,623; Floors:
15.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season: 131
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Ring-billed Gull.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be okay, though the winds are wrong,
but light.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: