Date: 11/2/17 3:04 pm
From: Jeff Hansen <jeff.hansen.sd...>
Subject: More red crossbills
Hello bird people, I decided to come up to a cemetery at Menoken Road and Northwest 35th Street in the Topeka area. Janeen Walters thought it might be a good place to look for Red Cross bills because there's a large role of pine trees. That's row of pine trees. Anyway the second I got here I saw 7 Red Cross bills feeding in a dirt pile that was growing up to wild sunflowers giant Ragweed and Mare's tail. then I made a pishing sound which scared them. I counted 22 of them and they flew up into a pine tree. Then they flew away and then they came back to the sunflowers. their behavior is so much like a parrot. They use their beak to climb up the sunflower stocks. It was really incredible to watch. And they were so tame and they were all at eye level. It was a great experience. Video forthcoming.

Jeff Hansen topeka
Youtube/BackyardBirdsUS
Ksplants.com

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html