Date: 11/2/17 3:02 pm
From: CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Great Swamp this morning
Jerseybirders,

I arrived at the north end of Pleasant Plains Road at about 6:50 today and spent 2-1/2 hours walking along the road to about the Bluebird lot. A pleasant morning watching the wintering birds awaken and forage. The foliage colors are really lovely...still lots of reds, oranges, yellows, and some greenery in the vegetation in the fields. Waterfowl were always overhead, and the early morning saw a seemingly never-ending stream of Robins flying by. I estimated 1,000.

Very early in the morning, I thought I saw a Barred Owl flying between the trees, but could not confirm it; it was awfully early for a Red-tailed Hawk to be flying, I thought. A beautiful near-adult male Harrier cruised by at one point, not quite a Gray Ghost, but probably one molt away. Another female/juvenile Harrier hunted from the Overlook. Later, I did espy a definite Red-tailed and one Kestrel as well. Best bird of the morning was an Orange-crowned Warbler, keeping company with three White-throated Sparrows. The sparrows moved hardly a bit, while the warbler jumped around constantly in and amongst the perching White-throateds. Such a beautiful little creature, mostly dull but with that flash of lemony yellow under the tail to keep it interesting.

I logged 44 species into e-Bird. I was hoping for a flyover Siskin or Pipit, but I think the southerly breezes kept these migrants out of the skies this morning. Still, so nice to be in "the Swamp" as its avian inhabitants lived their lives.

Good birding,

Marc Chelemer
Tenafly

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>