Date: 11/2/17 2:23 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden Thursday 11-2-17
Hello Bird People,

After 2 days of chasing after Crossbills, Hummingbirds & an Eared
Grebe I decided to tone it down & just head to the CBG to see whatever
might be there. In the back of my mind I knew that I have never seen
Red Crossbills there so that would be fun to look for. But after today
I have still never seen that species at the CBG. Maybe someday but I'm
not holding my breath. Since I only covered one place today I'll do a
complete list. If anyone is interested in old 1950's Rock Music check
the end of this report for a question posed by me.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:45-noon, a long visit)

P.B. Grebe (4)
D.C. Cormorant (2 at the B.Brown Pond)
Great Blue Heron (3)
Great Egret (2, surprised to see them still here)
Canada Goose (83, all on the Northern Lake)
Wood Duck (14 with most on the B.Brown Pond)
Mallard (21)
Green Winged Teal (2 on the Northern Lake & 3 on B.Brown Pond)
Ring Necked Duck (1-F on B.Brown Pond)
Hooded Merganser (5 males 1st on the Northern Lake but flew to B.Brown
Pond to join 1 female)
Ruddy Duck (2-F)
American Kestrel (1-M)
Coots (7)
Herring Gull (1 in backwaters & 1 fly-by)
Belted Kingfisher (1-M)
Red Bellied & Downy Woodpeckers (1 each)
Blue Jay (6)
Crows (3 fly-bys)
Chickadee (4)
Red Breasted Nuthatch (2)
Brown Creeper (1)
Golden Crowned (2) & Ruby Crowned (1) Kinglets
Robins (25-30)
(No Starlings or Waxwings today)
Cardinal (1-M & 2-F)
Eastern Towhee (1-M)
American Tree Sparrow (2)
NELSON'S SPARROW (1, a good look but a brief one, getting late for this species)
Fox Sparrow (3)
Song (2) & Swamp (4) Sparrows
White Throated (2) & White Crowned 2-IM) Sparrows
Dark Eyed Junco (40-45, the most common bird today)
PINE SISKIN (4, on Spider Island)
Goldfinch (~15 with most on Spider Island)
(The Birch Trees are ready for Finches but not many here yet & no Redpolls)
House Sparrow (3-4)
(Also had a strange Hawk in a tree which I haven't figured out yet &
may never figure out.
Where are those Hawk Watch people when you need one? Probably at a
Hawk Watch I guess.)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the somewhat late Nelson's Sparrow my 2nd at the
CBG this Fall.
Runners-Up to the few Siskins which were well seen.

Considering Old Rock Music

While at Half Priced Books writing down titles of history books I
might buy at next weeks big discounted book sale I heard an old 50's
song I don't even hear on Oldies Stations any more.
I soon remembered the title & soon after I also remembered the singer,
which was a tougher assignment. The chorus goes like this:

Oh Susie Darlin' I thought you knew
You meant all the world to me
All my dreams come true

This song is considered to be Rockabilly music as was much of 50's
music as in Buddy Holly &
Elvis. It was from 1958 & the singer went on to get a PhD & become the
head of Marketing at a university. He had no other big hits & was sort
of a "one hit wonder".

You can probably guess the title from the chorus I gave you but if you
can guess the singer then I will be impressed. You will also need to
be not be very young if you know so you may not want to admit that you
remember. Of course you can just google the chorus & you'll know
everything but I wondered if anyone would know without cheating. I can
think of a couple of experts on old music that may remember. No need
to tell me if you know but knowing you know is your reward.

Al Stokie
Resident musicologist

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: