Date: 11/2/17 2:02 pm
From: David Govatski <david.govatski...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pondicherry Trails and Birds
The 8 miles of trails at the Pondicherry NWR in Jefferson and Whitefield suffered extensive blowdowns from the Sunday wind storm. Volunteers and a USFWS forester are working on reopening the trails for public access. The Mud Pond Trail is now fully reopened. The Rail Trail from Airport Road to Cherry Pond is fully open for walking or bicycles. We are working on reopening the Rail Trail to Route 115A and are almost to Slide Brook. We have hundreds of trees to cut through.

The Little Cherry Pond Trail was extensively damaged and is closed with hundreds of blowdowns and is even hard to find the route in places. The national champion black spruce was a casualty and is uprooted. The Mooseway is closed for the section near the LCP trail. We are planning a work day on Veterans Day to reopen both these trails and help volunteers Kevin and Joanne Jones get this trail fixed. I will post an invitation next week.

On Cherry Pond today there were 12 white winged scoters and 1 pied billed grebe. The sound of chain saws was not the best way to find birds! We will get the trails fixed.

David Govatski
Jefferson, NH