Date: 11/2/17 10:24 am
From: Jill Niland <bwwarbler...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Montrose, Notification of Violations - NO SIGHTINGS
They are large vertical signs, placed on light and other poles. They have a combination of letters and numbers in white on green, for instance, M28, indicating the street and a number.

Jill NilandChicago
On Thursday, November 2, 2017, 12:14:19 PM CDT, Suzanne Coleman <isooz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

Good news. The police told me that there are labeled markers in the area that help them locate the particular spot you need them to be. I can't remember if it was a number on a sign or what they look like though. Can anyone give more info on this?  If callers have the location number it helps a lot since it's a confusing area..
Suzanne ColemanCook co.
On Nov 2, 2017, at 8:33 AM, <landscape.arch...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

For years there have been daily violations of the ordinancesand posted regulations regarding dogs and bicycles at Montrose including thebeach, the dunes, and the point.  Theeffort was renewed this year to get the Chicago Park District, Chicago Animal Careand Control, and the Chicago Police Department to enforce the regulations.  After months of effort we are finally seeingresults from that effort.

On October 19, during a site meeting, the Chicago PoliceDepartment issued two citations to dog owners with dogs on Montrose Beach,where they are not permitted at any time, whether on-leash or off-leash.

The following week Chicago Park District Security had arun-in with an aggressive dog owner who refused to leave the beach with hisdog, and in fact stood blocking the CPD Security vehicle, and only left whensecurity called the police, at which point the offender fled for his car.

On October 31 Chicago Park District Security personnelescorted five dog violators off the beach. All claimed that they didn’t know that they couldn’t be there with theirdogs, at which point security educated them on the dog ordinances and explainedthat if they violate the ordinances again they will be cited and they can pleadtheir case in court.

There is a CPD Security guard every day, sometimes stationedat the beach house, often parked on the beach immediately adjacent to thedog-friendly area, and the violators are beginning to understand that theycannot continue to violate the prohibition on dogs on the beach with impunity.

Bicycles are also prohibited in the dunes and on the point.

This commitment of resources will not go on forever, so nowis the time for us to solve this problem once and for all.  In order for this to happen we need allbirders and stewards and Montrose users who observe violations to call theminto the proper authorities.  Pleasefollow this protocol, and call all three parties:

Call Chicago Park District Security at 312-747-2193.

Call Chicago Animal Care and Control at 312-747-1381.

Call Chicago Police Department at 9-1-1 (yes, call theemergency number).

Please enter these numbers in your smart phones for easy reference.

Please be prepared to provide an exact location of the violation(but be patient, some of the dispatchers have no idea where Montrose Beach is, orMontrose Harbor Drive, or the “dog-friendly area,” etc.).  Be prepared to provide a description of boththe dog(s) and the dog owner(s).  Stay around, if possible, until someone shows up, and identify yourselfas the person who called in the violation.

If there is no response that is still helpful, as there is alog of calls, including those for which the agencies provided no response or resources, and we can make the argument that adequate resources are notbeing allocated for enforcement.

We believe we have the attention of all three agencies, andare finally seeing results, but we need every single violation to be called in,both to get a response, and to be on the record in cases where there is no response.

We have actually had recent stretches of several hours no dogs, no bicycles, and no cruisers, a “Hallelujah” day per LuisMunoz, and we’d like “Hallelujah" days to become the new normal.

If you care about migratory birds at Montrose, if you careabout natural and native habitat at Montrose, if you care about respect for thelaw, or if you would prefer birding without birds and natural areas beingdisturbed by dogs and bicycles, please call in what you see.  Thanks.

Ted Wolff

Cook County

Join us on Facebook!