Date: 11/2/17 9:29 am
From: Alex Delehanty via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] ID help
Normally I wouldn’t do this but ...
Today in Hartford at Riverside Park, in the ponds on the access road I
observed a bird that I cannot identify.
It was in the pond with Canada Geese. It was a third of the size of a
Canada Goose. This birds’ shape, I know this sounds ridiculous, looked like
a pigeon with a long neck. The head neck and breast were uniformly brownish
gray. It had black eyes, no eye ring, the beak was black & not long or
curved. It was barred on the back, brown, white, & buff. it had a white
butt. This bird took off with the geese and headed down to the Connecticut
River.
It did not have a grebe or duck head, but whatever it was I haven’t a
clue. Any ideas what it might be would be gratefully appreciated because
it’s driving me crazy.
Alex Delehanty
Storrs