Date: 11/2/17 7:27 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Nov 2017) 47 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Don Manuel, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Laura Rhoden, Nolan Morris, Kathleen Pileggi, Don Manuel, Sue
Manuel, Julie Englies.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy with drizzle (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 13,900-9,600 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 40 - 53F, Winds East @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“The Month to be Thankful!”---

November is for Thanksgiving – I feel, the almost neglected holiday, what
with Halloween and Christmas, the two most commercial holidays surrounding
it. Not by me! I love Thanksgiving, but not for the reason you might
think. Sure, gorging on food can be a fruitful endeavor – enjoyable and
fulfilling. Then there’s football. What male doesn’t go for that after
the “first ‘helping?’” This might even be a special year around here for
“our birds!” No, it’s special to me and not for any of those legitimate
reasons. I appreciate this season for unique thanks we get to give; for it
is this time of year we, as survivors of traumatic brain injury, comas and
associated rehab, get together at a dinner and give thanks to each other
for our incredible recoveries. We thank them for very obvious reasons –
our very lives. But what of the therapists, doctors, and nurses – why are
you thanking us!? Ah, that reason is to me more obscure, but I get it –
having lived it. They are thanking us for providing a real-live validation
of their incredible work – their career choice, their talent and
dedication. They get in there right with us and pull us through –
sometimes, as in my case, for years! They strain, cry with us when we
can’t stand, help you to talk again and push you to walk. In my case, they
even had to teach me to swallow and to breathe. Many patients don’t make
it, but ah…the ones that do – they are thankful for us. And those miracles
that actually thrive, not just survive (like me), provide a great sense of
accomplishment these medical workers are indeed thankful for – they’ve told
me, to a person. I mean, these people took care of me for weeks when I was
in a coma, doing everything FOR me. I and those like me, show just how
important and successful their work can be. So I say to those people
involved in my and others’ care - you people are so incredibly welcome for
the reciprocal thanks you give me. It is ALL you!

Lauren was here all the way from Arizona! Pressure’s on! Nothing
spectacular came by while she was here, but she was happy and will be back.
Later, Ravens came by thrilling Nolan and me. They returned, doing the
same for Sue and Don. You guys must live right! I know that I don’t.

Two Harriers migrated by together – a female and a ghostly male. Julie
showed up with a gift of a deer head for the carrion feeder. A long story,
but thanks, Julie from us and the Golden Eagle which we hope is enticed to
feed upon your offering.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
25-Double-crested Cormorant, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 3-Palm
Warbler, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Monarch - 1, Clouded Sulphur,
Buckeye. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0):
Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.19; Steps: 7,482; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season: 130
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good, with changeable skies and clouds!
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek