Date: 11/2/17 5:10 am
From: Tom Brownrigg <brownriggs...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Black Scoter, Carlisle
Carlisle resident Debby Geltner saw a Black Scoter at the Carlisle Cranberry
Bog three days ago and sent us a photo. We went there yesterday at about 3
PM and the scoter was still in the reservoir closer to Martin St, on the
west side of the reservoir. We watched it for about 15 minutes and it
barely moved. It is an adult male, and the upper bill has a prominent
yellow "knob". This is a good bird for Carlisle, since they are rarely seen
inland. The Cranberry Bog is on Curve St., and there is a small parking lot
near the old "bog house"; there is also parking off of Curve St. further
east.

A man we met there said that he saw an adult Bald Eagle in the west
reservoir two days ago, and it had captured a duck. We did not see the
eagle, but it might still be in the area.

Tom & D'Ann Brownrigg

Join us on Facebook!