Date: 11/1/17 5:46 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] N. Shrike & Creeper - West Arapahoe Co.
I spent the morning outdoors today (11/1/2017) and encountered a few FOS
birds. At Willow Spring Open Space (Centennial [Arapahoe Co.]), a Northern
Shrike watched over the marsh and brush east of the Holly St. entrance. The
bird was very active & vocal, in part, it seemed, due to a kestrel that
chased it around. I'm not sure if the kestrel wanted the shrike, the
shrike's perches, or the shrike's potential prey, but it was all a sight
to see. I'd also never heard or watched a Northern Shrike vocalize, so that
was an added bonus. In the portion of west-ish Arapahoe Co. that I bird --
east of the S. Platte and west of I-25 -- Willow Spring Open Space seems to
be the best place to see these birds. Underneath these two birds were heaps
of House Finches, Song Sparrows, an American Tree Sparrow, two Downies,
some flickers, a meadowlark, magpies, Red-winged Blackbirds, American
Goldfinches, and who knows what else.

A later stop at Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve in Greenwood Village netted
me my first Brown Creeper of the fall. It was in a busy collection of
cottonwoods with Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, and
Red-breasted Nuthatches. There appeared to be a feeder nearby, but out of
sight, as the two nuthatches kept creeping around with seeds in their
bills. The preserve was otherwise quiet.

Later, in my backyard, a flock of about 15 Cedar Waxwings took a high perch
in a neighbor's tree. As I scanned the flock for other birds, the waxwings
exploded at once out of the tree. A Merlin followed, but didn't appear to
get any.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO