Date: 11/1/17 3:30 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
We took a new extension to the Ridgeline Trail. “Wild Iris Ridge” trail begins from parking at the junction of Bertelson Rd and Bailey Hill Rd. (s-w Eugene) We walked a mile to the first split of the trail, mainly a gradual climb through white oak and fruiting madrone. Although the list is short, birds were plentiful. Robins were everywhere, but always high. There were many separate flocks of waxwings, undoubtedly attracted to the madrone fruit. We encountered many junco flocks. The highlight was a flock of bluebirds high in the oaks. The Acorn Woodpeckers were also a surprise, as they seemed to be an established small colony, which would be separate from the known colonies around Fern Ridge.
22 species

Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 adult perched within the oaks.
Acorn Woodpecker - 5
Downy Woodpecker - 4
Northern Flicker - 6
Steller's Jay - 4
California Scrub-Jay - 3
American Crow - 20
Black-capped Chickadee - 8
Bushtits - two groups
Bewick's Wren - 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2
Western Bluebird - 15
American Robin - large numbers
Varied Thrush - 2
European Starling - 35
Cedar Waxwing - large numbers
Spotted Towhee - 6
Fox Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - 10
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 20
Dark-eyed Junco - large number
American Goldfinch - 1

Chuck Thomas, Steven and Judy Franzen, Barry McKenzie, Tom Cable, Sylvia Maulding , and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!