Date: 11/1/17 2:35 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach & Harbor Channel, Illinois Beach South & Van Patten Woods Wed 11-1-17
Welcome To November Bird People,

Waukegan Beach, Pier, Backwaters & Park (7:15-8:45 a.m.)

Covered these areas with Bob E, Andy Stewart & Steve M.
On the fisherman's pier were D.C. Cormorant (1), Sanderling (1),
Dunlin (7). & Herring Gulls (46).
In the backwater inlet were Mallard (6) & Gadwall (22).
On the beaches were 10 Ring Billed Gulls & in the lake was one Coot.
In the harbor channel were 1 Canada Goose & 1 EARED GREBE continuing
from yesterday.
Land birds in the small park included Starlings, Y.R. Myrtle Warbler
(2), White Throated Sparrows & Junco's.

Illinois Beach South Unit (9-10:30 a.m. with Bob E)

On the lake were D.C. Cormorant (3 fly-bys), American Wigeon (1-M),
Redhead (~500 continuing),
Scaup Species (~50) Ring Necked Duck (1-M), Bufflehead (1-M) & Red
Breasted Mergansers (~20 fly-bys). A few Ring Billed & Herring Gulls
flew by as well.
The only birds actually ON the beach were a large gang of Crows
(75-80) which is more than I've seen there in several years just south
of the river mouth & one very well seen SNOW BUNTING making up for the
bad look I had at the recent fly-by at the hawk watch.

While at lunch we learned that Red Crossbills had been again at Van
Patten Woods so Bob & I looked for over an hour but again found only
Siskins, Goldfinch & a couple Purple Finches.
One of these days! Maybe?

Bird-Of-The-Day to the close in Eared Grebe in the harbor channel
which was only the 4th one I have ever seen in Lake County with the
1st one also being seen at Waukegan Harbor back in the mid 1980's. It
was on a Joel Greenberg led field trip & the Eared Grebe was found by
none other than the famous world bird lister Phoebe Snetsinger. Hard
to believe that was 30 years ago!
Runner-Up to the cooperative Snow Bunting at IBSP.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: