Date: 11/1/17 2:10 pm
From: Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [HMBirds] "Lucky" Brant
I just watched two adult Bald Eagles in hot-pursuit of a lone Brant.

I don't think I've ever seen Bald Eagles take a bird in flight. (I've seen
them take out grounded birds, some as large as Canada Goose now and then).

The Brant looked so small in comparison, I first thought it was a tern or a
teal. But that was just my perception given the unlikely combination of
species.

The eagles looked like a tag team cutting off the Brant on each twist and
turn. They appear to be a bonded pair that has been around for a few days,
occasionally fending off a potential territorial intruder.

Although they all flew behind a leafy tree and I could not witness the
get-away, I could tell that the eagles came up empty since they soon
perched together in a neighbor's yard doing their loud eagle chirping.

A small group of Brant flew down river shortly afterwards, and I hope that
lone goose joined forces with them to continue on to the coast.

--
Richard Guthrie
New Baltimore,

Join us on Facebook!