Date: 11/1/17 12:36 pm
From: Kathy Van Der Aue via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Banding today at Birdcraft
What a fun time we had today! We had 49 birds, two of them older
recaptures (Downy Woodpecker, White-throated Sparrow). We had lots of
Robins, Kinglets (both species) and White-throated Sparrows but our
surprise was 16 Juncos in one net (flock leader made a serious mistake).
We rarely catch Juncos for some reason so this was a treat. We also had a
couple of Phoebes, a Brown Creeper and a late Common Yellowthroat.

It was very interesting to see the differences in fat deposits on the newly
arrived migrants, especially the Juncos. Some had fat scores of three and
four and some were zeros. (We score them by the amount of fat that is
present in the notch just above the "wishbone," from zero to four with four
being fat deposits bulging out of the little notch) I guess some were very
newly arrived, using all their fat deposits in migration and then they
joined a flock that had been here long enough to replenish their fat
deposits.

Birdcraft is at 314 Unquowa Road, Fairfield.

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut