Date: 11/1/17 9:57 am
From: Curtis Wolf <cjwolf...>
Subject: Whooping Cranes update-Cheyenne Bottoms
It's been fun trying to keep track of all the Whooping Cranes in the area over the last 2 days. Here is an update from Cheyenne Bottoms:

Yesterday-10/31/17
KDWPT staff reported a total count of 32 Whooping Cranes at Cheyenne Bottoms yesterday (10/30/17). The last count of these was just after noon. 31 of these were observed in the Pool 5 Refuge which is closed to the public. 1 Adult was with a large group of Sandhills on a private field immediately South of the Pool 5 Refuge.

Today-11/1/17
KDWPT staff reports at least 10 Whooping Cranes at Cheyenne Bottoms this morning (11/1/17) all in the Pool 5 Refuge.

11:45am 11/1/17-Report of 3 Whooping Cranes in a private field West of K-156 Highway a few miles from the KWEC building. This may be the same group that I observed this morning at 8:20am that was in a private field immediately South of Cheyenne Bottoms. This group flew off right at 9:00am.

Robert Penner reported to me a total of 8 whoopers this morning on the TNC Preserve in 2 locations.

Curtis Wolf
Director, Ks Wetlands Education Center
Cheyenne Bottoms
Great Bend, KS