Date: 11/1/17 9:27 am
Subject: An 8-sparrow morning south of Raleigh
I had a nice 60 minutes birding the NC State U. farm fields today (Nov. 1),
which must be "National Traffic Day". I don't know if there is such a
thing, but for whatever reason, traffic was everywhere between my house and
Lake Wheeler, including a logging truck full of pine trees on Mid-Pines
Road!

Except for missing Loggerhead Shrike, easy to do these days (though seen by
Phil Doerr a few days ago), I got all of the targets, including the
PEREGRINE FALCON on its perch, HORNED LARKS, AMERICAN PIPITS, the
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, and a VESPER SPARROW in the same small tree as the
White-crowned. I also saw 9 NORTHERN SHOVELERS on one of the two small
ponds along Inwood Road. In addition to these two sparrow species, I had
the more expected Savannah, Chipping, Field (just one), White-throated,
Song, and Swamp. I tried hard for Lincoln's along Mid-Pines at Yates Pond,
even playing tapes, but could not get any to respond, though I bet one or
two are lurking now.

Some ducks are slowly moving in: about 20 RUDDY DUCKS and 17 RING-NECKED
DUCKS on Yates Pond; and 3 WOOD DUCKS and two male AMERICAN WIGEONS along
with the many semi-wild Mallards and Canada Geese at Lake Wheeler.

Here is my eBird list for the Mid-Pines Road area:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S40246186&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=z3pvjrqv6SUCNKRw_Eq3UWlX1uThkQjNU5riWYS8bLU&s=aam_VhF0M239NT-ebHx72o724p1XnIflVJ-8-FN9vw8&e=

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!