Date: 11/1/17 4:12 am
From: Harvey Tomlinson <oddbirdsin...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Brigantine Greenshank and other goodies
Hi Jersey Birders,
I was lucky enough to be right behind Karen Thompson when she re-located
the Greenshank in the East Pool.
The East pool is tidal and I haven't seen it that low in quite sometime.
The flats were exposed almost all day and the shorebird numbers were
incredible.
There had to be 400 Greater Yellowlegs using the flats along with hundreds
of Dunlin, Western Sandpipers, a smatter of Semipalmated sandpipers, a
handful of BB Plovers, and even 5 Sanderlings.
It was wonderful.
The Greenshank stayed put most of the day with only a few shuffles around
the pool. It was still there after 4PM
Beware of a very, very pale Western Willet that's around. From a distance
it can really fool you.
Also at Brig today I had a young Dickcissel buried in the brush along Gull
Pond road, and an American Golden Plover that landed right in front of me
on the beach at Turtle Cove.
I could hear it calling so I was ready to shoot.
A great day at Brig with perfect weather.
November is Rarity month.
Not sure anything rarer than Greenshank will be around but it's the time of
year anything can show up!
Good Birding,
Harvey Tomlinson
Del Haven NJ