Date: 10/31/17 7:46 pm
From: Paul Griffin <pgriffin1...>
Subject: Whoopers at Quivira
Hi Folks,

I went to The Big Salt Marsh at Quivira this afternoon hoping to find some of the Whooping Cranes reported. There were 9 on the flats North of the big white storage tank. Then I found 6 more, 2 family groups with immatures, on the very South shore of the big lake seen from the South part of the Wild Life Drive. Then there were 2 adults with a large group of Sandhill Cranes on the West shore across the water from the West Wild Life Drive. At sunset when leaving I went back by the 9 Whoopers on the flats, but they weren’t 9 anymore. In the 30 minutes I had been gone they had added 11 more Whoopers, which turned them into 20, one of the larger single groups I have ever seen, which had at least 2 immatures. So when I left at about 7 pm there were 31 Whooping Cranes at the Big Salt Marsh. A strong wind is blowing from the South, so I think they should be there in the early morning, if you want to see some, but get there early.

Happy Birding,

Paul Griffin
https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to