Date: 10/31/17 6:56 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Crossbills (Winnebago Co) & Hummingbirds (Kane Co) Tuesday 10-31-17
Hello Bird People,

Late doing this report as I have been watching for Trick Or Treaters
at the front door as the door bell only works when it feels like it.
But candy grubbing ended at 8 p.m. so that job is over.

Greenwood Cemetery In Rockford (8-10 a.m)

As both species of Crossbills have been reported from here it would
seem to be a good place to look. Arrived with Andy Sigler & after
sorting through over 70 Siskins & maybe 20 Goldfinch plus both
Nuthatches & both Kinglets & 8 Cedar Waxwings eating Juniper berries
we finally had good looks at 4 male & 3 female RED CROSSBILLS which
after flying around while calling decided to land at the top of 2
different trees near to where we were standing. Had a couple of other
Crossbill fly-bys but no I.D.'s were made. Later Craig Taylor arrived
but still no White Winged Crossbills were seen.
This was not an easy project & it took a lot of effort to finally see
the 7 Red Crossbills. Another bird seen here was a MERLIN at the top
of a tree.

Nygren Wetlands (10:40-11 a.m.)

Andy was after the reported TRUMPETER SWAN which we eventually saw.
Also here were a large number (250-275) of Sandhill Cranes, 100's of
Canada Geese, a few G.W. Teal & Ring Necked Ducks, Coots (6) & an
adult Bald Eagle at tree top level.

Nieman Pond & 2 Nearby Ponds In Stephenson Co. (11:30-noon)

Nieman Pond had Great Blues (2), Sandhill Cranes (4), Ring Necked
Ducks (6), Ruddy Duck (1), Hooded Merganser (5) & Canvasback (1-M)
plus 3 Ring Billed Gulls.
Two nearby ponds had Canada Geese (30) & 5 species of shorebirds to
close out my October shorebird counts. They were Killdeer (4). Lesser
Yellowlegs (2), Pectoral Sandpiper (1),
Dunlin (15) & Snipe (27).

Last stop of the day was Hummingbird Central in Kane Co on Gunpowder
Rd where we watched for 45 min starting at 1:45 p.m. Saw both the
female/young Ruby Throated & the fine looking adult male RUFOUS
HUMMINGBIRD which flew in 3 times but only went to the feeder once
with the other 2 visits were when it sat at the top of the tree next
to the hummer feeder.

Bird-Of-The-Day to my 1st full adult male Rufous Hummingbird in Illinois &
Runner-Up to the 7 cemetery Red Crossbills.
Honorable mention to the Merlin which was a new Winnebago Co species
for me but not for Andy.

Al Stokie
In Winnebago, Stephenson & Kane Co's today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: