Date: 10/31/17 6:32 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] trikes etc
Yesterday, a Red-breasted Nuthatch was in pines to the NE of the Boys' and
Girls' Club near Brookhurst and Heil in Mile Square Park. Further north on
the golf course closer to Edinger was a flock of five "Aleutian" Cackling
Geese (possible family group?). Also in that general area were a couple of
Canada x domestic Greylag Goose hybrids, plus "Whitey," the continuing
hyper-leucistic Canada Goose. Also of note were 2 adult male and one adult
female Vermilion Flycatchers between the ball fields and the nature center
to the east. However, most interesting to me was a presumed immature male
Tricolored Blackbird with a large blackbird/starling flock. (This flock
hosted a female Tricolored last winter). As I wasn't able to see the bird
as well as I would have liked under yesterday's gray skies, I returned
today. Unfortunately, the flock was nowhere to be found, so I then headed
to Centennial Park. The Brewer's Blackbird flock is back, including the one
with buffy 'eyebrows,' and another pale-eyed female (but no Rusty).
Surprisingly, a more unequivocal Tricolored was also present, this one an
adult male. This bird is a close match for the one that was at Heritage
Park in early Sept, a photo of which Jeff was circulating at the time. Pics
of the blackbirds and Cackling Geese can be seen at the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140329376@N06/

Jim Pike
HB

Join us on Facebook!