Date: 10/31/17 1:09 pm
From: peter barnes <pbarnes123...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Gull chart, missing the point.
I agree that simple charts are a helpful way for beginner and intermediate
birders to begin to tackle more challenging ID problems such as Gulls. They
are not a substitute for spending time in the field, but they help you to
feel that you have some hope of sorting out different species, and make it
more likely that you will acquire an appreciation of the features that
allow experienced birders to identify many species at a glance. I suggest
that the gull chart include a column on relative size, bill shape and wing
tip features.

Peter Barnes, Portland

On Monday, October 30, 2017, David Lantz <lantz503...> wrote:

> This gull chart is basically 1 + 1, it's a way to get our foot in the
> door. Some of the experts up here if you want us to go straight to chapter
> 8 with complex equations. I remember struggling with sparrows when I first
> started, my lack of understanding then seems a bit silly to me now. I now
> have that same learning curve with gulls.
>
> To say this chart is unhelpful I find is dismissive to novice birders who
> are trying to learn. There are many amazingly considerate individuals here
> who encourage us to learn. Honestly, there are a few others here that take
> the fun out of it for me, I know I make mistakes and foibles but that's
> part of learning.
>
> I and a few of my friends want to use this this great resource of obol to
> continue to learn, a very good friend of mine will not post here because of
> some discouraging comments.
>
> Thank you, David Lantz

Join us on Facebook!