Date: 10/31/17 4:56 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (30 Oct 2017) 64 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 64 1354 12776

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Gardner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Gardner.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy, becoming Sunny (75-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 48 - 57F, Winds NW-W @ 25 - 40 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (65) and
Turkey Vultures (75).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-4; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Too Subtle?”---

Dave texted with news of a light phase Rough-legged Hawk SEEN at nearby
Ashland before I even arrived at my site today (DB). That’s early. I will
have to be on the lookout, especially with today’s changing weather. The
skies went quickly from angry to docile. I prefer angry, as long as it
doesn’t turn violent and kick my butt. But, as you know, I AM way overdue
for a good butt-kicking.

The vultures got up early today, and why not? They hadn’t been able to
feed or even search for food yesterday, so they’re likely a bit hungry.
Besides, conditions were quickly getting to their liking today – extremely
strong winds to soar on, clearing skies that might produce some thermals,
and plenty of deer hunters out with agendas matching their own. If that
doesn’t “bear fruit,” there’s always the unfortunate road-kill, and if need
be – our carrion tray. RIGHT JIM!?!? (LOL)

Mike stopped by on his way to cover Ashland Hawk Watch as their official
counter this afternoon, finding an Osprey as he left Bucktoe. Thanks Mike,
for all you do for me here. Unfortunately, there was nothing special about
today’s raptor flight past Bucktoe. The birds that were coming past
certainly had one heck of a tail wind, with winds gusting well over 30, to
maybe 40 mph from the west.

A Raven flew over that EMPTY TRAY (Hint, Jim) at 9:38, croaking hungrily.
I thought he looked a bit light on the wing. (Just teasing you hunters,
Jim) Remember, I am unarmed! An adult and first-year Bald Eagle happened
by soon. A second Raven scanned the carrion feeder flying low and very
close, while calling just in front of Mike & I, making 2 circles of the
currently EMPTY TRAY…surveying the bare bones, no doubt, Jim. At 2:30, a
Turkey Vulture actually swooped in, landing on the tray. Must be using one
of the gleamed bones as a toothpick, I figure. I’m just saying… Too
subtle??
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Horned Lark, 1-American Pipit, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Monarch - 1, Buckeye.
Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern
Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.77; Steps: 11,198; Floors:
33.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 130
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be nice...yeah, a nice day, though
windy.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: