Date: 10/30/17 9:32 pm
From: Merlin <merlin32757...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Tucson Audubon Field Trip to Rio Rico Golf Course - Red Crossbills
Hi All

We had a wonderful bird walk at the Rio Rico Golf Course. This is a
wonderful spot to come and bird having a nice variety of habitats. The
highlight of the walk was the four Red Crossbills that were by one of the
ponds in a willow tree after getting a drink. At first I thought they were
just some House Finches until we got a scope on them and some pictures.
They then flew up into the pines to crack open some pine cones. We got to
see them as they flew from pine tree to pine tree which the golf course has
quite a few. The Sora Rail popped out of the reeds for a look around and
the Marsh Wrens played tag in the reeds as well. The golf course is closed
to golfing for the next two weeks as they do some reseeding but birders are
still welcome, just open the gate and close it after you drive in. We had
nice looks of an Osprey, Red tailed Hawk and Black and Turkey vultures. We
also woke up a Black Crowned Night Heron by one of the ponds.

Thanks
Rob Rutledge
Green Valley, AZ

16 Kents Avenue, Rio Rico, Arizona, US (31.467, -110.964), Santa Cruz,
Arizona, US
Oct 30, 2017 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
51 species (+3 other taxa)

Gadwall 1
American Wigeon 25
Mallard 6
Mallard (Mexican) 3
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Great Blue Heron 2
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1
Black Vulture 2 Black head white wing tips
Turkey Vulture 4
Osprey 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Sora 1
American Coot 45
Eurasian Collared-Dove 2
Mourning Dove 2
Anna's Hummingbird 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Gila Woodpecker 4
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 10
Gilded Flicker 1
American Kestrel 3
Gray Flycatcher 2
Black Phoebe 3
Say's Phoebe 6
Vermilion Flycatcher 6
Cassin's Kingbird 7
Loggerhead Shrike 1
Horned Lark 3
Verdin 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 3 In the pines w red breasts
Marsh Wren 2
Bewick's Wren 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 3
Curve-billed Thrasher 4
Cedar Waxwing 3
Phainopepla 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 25
Rufous-winged Sparrow 6
Chipping Sparrow 2
Lark Sparrow 6
White-crowned Sparrow 6
Song Sparrow 4
Song Sparrow (montana/merrilli) 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 2
Abert's Towhee 1
Northern Cardinal 3
Pyrrhuloxia 2
Western/Eastern Meadowlark 2
Red-winged Blackbird 6
House Finch 6
Red Crossbill 4 Photos coming, red w crossed bills
Lesser Goldfinch 12

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/ch
ecklist/S40212957