Date: 10/30/17 4:46 pm
From: Tucker, Trileigh <TRI...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Montlake Fill - no ATSP, but SEOW duel and EUWI
Scott,

Wow, what a great interaction and excellent photos! But Iíd guess thatís a Raven, not a crow. Iím so envious you got to see a Shorty there Ė Iíll have to head over one of these days.

Cheers,
Trileigh

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Trileigh Tucker, PhD
Professor Emerita of Environmental Studies
Seattle University

Pelly Valley, West Seattle
Natural Presence Arts website<https://naturalpresencearts.com/>
Photography<https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/albums/72157661836833455>

From: "Duncan, Scot" <sduncan...><mailto:<sduncan...>>
Date: Monday, October 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM
To: Tweeters <tweeters...><mailto:<tweeters...>>

Tweeters,

I abandoned all responsibilities and headed this morning to Montlake Fill to twitch the American Tree Sparrow. I dipped on the sparrow, but was treated to one of the most epic aerial duels I have every witnessed. High above the fill I spotted in the dawnís golden light a raptor being harassed by crows. Expecting it to be a Red-tail, I was delighted to see it was a Short-eared Owl. This alone would have been quite rewarding for me since this is a species very uncommon in the Southeast US where I am from. But I then watched for several minutes as a very persistent crow and the owl fought several hundred feet above the Fill. I took some shots with my camera and you may enjoy seeing them on eBird (see link to checklist below). (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40213005).

I was able to relocate the Eurasian Wigeon, but then gave up on waterfowl as the light was atrocious and duties were calling me away.

Scot Duncan
(a temporary refugee from Alabama)