Date: 10/30/17 4:11 pm
From: Carol <imcaroling...>
Subject: [obol] Prairie Falcon on Fry Road
Jim and I drove our usual route south and east of Albany and down to the south of Brownsville yesterday, looking for Bald Eagles and other critters. Our first find of the day was a Prairie Falcon sitting on top of a wooden utility pole at the edge of Fry Road. Across the road was a water filed ditch. Four Mallards were hunkered down tight together in the water so that the wire fence along the road was between them and the falcon. When we drove back through the area later in the afternoon, the falcon was nowhere in sight and the ducks were merrily foraging along the ditch.

We did see several Bald Eagles, a Blue Heron, loads of Red-Tailed Hawks and Kestrels and a few Northern Harriers. We were hoping to get a first of the season sighting of a Rough-Legged Hawk but no luck. Sheep are being brought back into the fields for the winter so the Bald Eagle activity should be ramping up soon.

-Carol and Jim Hiler
N. Albany

Join us on Facebook!